Saturday, July 7, 2012

Bleeding Love for Cabbages and Condoms

When we landed in Thailand,we just had a power nap and off we went to have a good Thai lunch. We went to Cabbages and Condoms, a restaurant we were excited to visit not only because it was featured in TLC but because of its fun and quirky concept. 

Cabbages and Condoms is conveniently located at Sukhumvit Soi 12. 

Walking down the streets of Bangkok in my comfy Mango Top, Dorothy Perkins Shorts and trusty Longchamp.

Look who welcomed us, Tiger Woods. So yes, Tiger,did you use them?


Before we reach the dining area, we passed by the souvenir shops along the entrance and they had this reminder. This restaurant's HIV prevention advocacy is really admirable, the reminders are all over the place.

Upon entering the restaurant, this is how their reception wall looks like. You will, not for a second, forget the name of the restaurant you're in what with all the reminders posted everywhere. 
The restaurant was named after two objects that fit their advocacy- food and HIV prevention. Thus, Cabbages and Condoms.

Here's me and my best friend, intrigued and always laughing as we pass by each interesting statue and billboards.

Finally, time to order! I loved their menu, they had photos for each dish they offer. Plus, they had a few pages dedicated to educating guests about certain herbs and spices that are commonly used in Thai cooking. 

As I always say, Learning doesn't stop. So let the learning begin!





One thing that I appreciated about dining at Cabbages and Condom, not only did I enjoy the food and was intrigued by the whole concept,but I was able to learn something new. As a culinary enthusiast that I am, it made me feel fulfilled to learn as I travel.
We just ordered and we are so ready to enjoy authentic Thai food!

First order: Pad Thai
Wouldn't miss this for the world! When in Thailand, one thing you must never forget is the Pad Thai. This is just heaven in a plate,or ahm,nirvana on plate? lol
This is Pad Thai already mixed and ready to be devoured in 3...2...1..go na!
Boy am I glad to have eaten authentic Pad Thai. Another one off my bucket list. Having tasted this, it will be hard for me to appreciate Pad Thai served here in the Philippines again. I mean, Cafe Laguna, Siam and Blue Elephant has a good Pad Thai recipe but Krua Thai, Dessert Factory and some other just don't hit the mark. #justsaying
Second Order: Yellow Curry Chicken
We were faced with a difficulty before we decided on our second order. We had to choose between Red Curry, Green Curry and Yellow Curry. We read the description of each and we tried to calibrate our lunch menu, thus we chose the yellow curry. Now, I have learned something new again. I learned the differences between the 3 curries and this yellow curry is the sweet one. We already had something with acid,something spicy and so we ordered this curry,something sweet to balance our menu.
Third Lunch Menu: Spicy Shrimp Paste Rice. 

This is just so good, it's a complete meal by itself. The rice, fried with spicy shrimp paste, had me in deep appreciation and respect to the dish. Because unlike the usual Binagoongan Rice that I order here in Cebu City and Manila, this one is does not have that awful smell nor that nasty look and after taste. It was also beautifully plated with proteins and vegetables. 

One tip, when a food is presented like this,with different components, it is an imperative that you must taste everything altogether at the same time, that's is how you will know if the dish is good. If their flavors all go together.
What we had most of our trip, Water. 

Good thing my brother gave me mints before I left the country! hahaha


What such a great dining and learning experience that was. I should say, it was Baht well spent. 




No comments:

Post a Comment